Safer Spaces Policy
Luvin Arms Animal Sanctuary is a safer space, which means that it is intended to be a welcoming, engaging and supportive environment free of oppressive actions, behaviors, and language. Staff, volunteers and visitors are asked to consider how their language and behavior impact others in this space.
The following guidelines will help Luvin Arms be a safer space:
- Respect physical and emotional boundaries
- Always get explicit verbal consent before touching someone
- Respect opinions, beliefs, differing states of being and differing points of view
- Be responsible for your actions and words, and be aware that they may have an unintended effect on others regardless of original intent
The following actions and forms of discrimination and abuse will not be tolerated:
- Racism, sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia, transphobia, and all other forms of discrimination
- Theft of money or property
- Physical, verbal, or mental abuse
- Sexual harassment, inappropriate/unwelcome comments and behaviors
- Disruptive or disrespectful behavior
- Causing someone to feel distressed or unsafe
Many of the guidelines and actions outlined within this safer spaces policy apply to making Luvin Arms a safer space for our residents, too. Be conscious and mindful of all resident body language at all times, honor their decisions not to interact with or be touched by you, and be open to their possible disinterest in your companionship at any given time. Language or actions that disrespect or disparage the residents will not be tolerated.
Should an issue arise, Luvin Arms staff will be available to mediate on-site and attempt to find a solution. Luvin Arms reserves the right to ask anyone who is violating the safer spaces policy to change or address their unsafe behavior or language, or leave the premises if needed. If unsafe behavior or language persists despite mediation or otherwise addressing the situation(s), the person or persons involved may be asked not to return to the Luvin Arms property or other Luvin Arms spaces moving forward.
If you experience or witness any behavior that crosses your boundaries or makes you feel uncomfortable, please feel encouraged to speak with or seek support from any Luvin Arms staff member.