- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth (I use bouillon cubes)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 cups sliced mushrooms (I use a combo of portabello and white)
- 2 cups seitan, cubed small (this is optional and can be omitted if you are gluten-free)
- Egg-free pasta (one 16 oz package) – I use wide noodles or large bowties
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- Gravy: Stir cornstarch and soy sauce together in a 2-quart saucepan and make a thin, smooth, paste. Whisk in the broth. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and cover and set aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high. When the oil is hot, lower the heat to low and sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Brown the seitan strips in a small amount of oil.
- Add seitan to the onions and mushroom mixture. Reduce heat to low and stir often, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once over egg-free noodles.